Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Camping Burritos

What are your plans for the long labor day weekend? 
I just learned that I'll be headed back up to this lovely place in the mountains.
Which brings me to my previous post where I mentioned I'd share some things about camping. 
As I've mentioned, I'm really good at requiring thing be done immediately. This is why you will not find any yeast bread recipes or things that require serious amount of marinating. 
You can make camping on a whim super simple with a few tips:


1. Make a camping box. This will hold a few essentials that you'll need every time you camp. As a bonus, it is also something you can have as an emergency supply box in case of a natural disaster. 
2. Have some go-to camping recipes
3. Don't make things too complicated. Fancy meals, snacks, and elaborate activities are great but save them for home.
I have one recipe I use every time I go camping. This is perfect for my simple stove setup as you see above. When I get a dual burner camp stove, I'll still cook this very meal. Keep it simple, that's what I always say. 

Actually that's probably the first time I've ever said that.
Chop the ingredients at home, place them in a zip-top bag or tupperware with some spices, and then dump them all in one pot with a can of beans once you are ready for dinner.
I use slices of cheese because I can pack a big bag of slices and use them on everything from eggs to sandwiches. You can't put grated cheese on a sandwich and grating AND slicing cheese?! No way.
Use whole-grain flax tortillas from Trader Joe's add some spinach and you have a perfect appetizer to your s'mores. I mean, dinner.

Camping Burritos:
Serves: 2-4, Total Time: 20 minutes

  • 1 clove Garlic, chopped
  • ½ Onion, chopped
  • 1 Zucchini, chopped
  • 1 handful of White or Crimini Mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 Jalapeño, seeded and chopped
  • 1 can Black or Pinto Beans
  • 1 handful Spinach 
  • 4 slices Cheddar Cheese
Place garlic, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, and jalapeño in a tupperware inside of a zip-top bag . Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Put in a cooler with the zipper well out of the ice. 

Drive to your camp site. Go hiking, exploring, and have a blast. Come back to your site when its time for dinner.

Place vegetables and can of beans* from container into a pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until onion is softened and ingredients are hot. Meanwhile, place cheese and spinach on tortillas. Spoon vegetable mix into tortillas once it is warm

*It is not necessary to drain your can of beans first. The "bean juice" will cook off partially and make a nice, thick sauce for your vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment