Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tofu Banh Mi Sandwich

I've been busy.
  I went to the beach.

 I went to the mountains.

I went to the zoo.

I marinated some tofu.

Oh woe is me, my social life and working too much has kept me so busy I've done nearly no cooking worth noting. We left town, had visitors in town, and all I have to show for it is some chocolate chip cookies.

But then I found this recipe. 
I needed it. 
Everyday I thought about it.
Finally, I got the necessary ingredients.
I created this glorious sandwich creation.


...I didn't love it. 

I considered not even sharing it because I was so disappointed. There's nothing wrong with the recipe. Maybe I just had too many cucumber slices while I was waiting for the tofu. I'll try this again and I'll probably enjoy it. 

If it sounds good to you, I encourage you to try it as well. 
There is no reason crispy, fried tofu shouldn't be delicious.



Tofu Banh Mi
From: Eat, Live, Run
Serves: 2; Total Time: 30 minutes  


For the Tofu:
  • 1 package Extra Firm Tofu
  • 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Honey
  • 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
  • pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
  • pinch of Salt
For the Sandwich:
  • 1 large Baguette, cut in half, or 2 small 
  • Carrots, cut into matchsticks
  • Cucumber, sliced thinly
  • Cilantro, torn
  • Broccoli slaw
  • Red Onion, thinly sliced
  •  Sriracha 
Whisk together the ingredients for the tofu marinade and place in a shallow dish. Slice tofu horizontally, to get two "tofu rectangle" pieces. Place the pieces in the marinade and allow to sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, slice sandwich ingredients and heat 2 tablespoons of oil (canola, vegetable, olive, pick your poison) in a skillet over medium-high. When oil is hot, place tofu in the pan, reserving marinade. Fry until crispy, about 5-10 minutes on each side. When the tofu is nearly complete, add marinade to pan. Cook for about 2 minutes more. 

Place tofu on baguette and pour half of the sauce on top. Layer slaw, cilantro, carrot, and broccoli then Sriracha. 


No comments:

Post a Comment