Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Before-it-goes-bad Dinner.


You know those days when you open the fridge and think, "I really need to use this before it gets icky"?
It happens at least once a month that I have produce I haven't really planned for and don't feel like searching cookbooks, the internet, or my soul for a recipe.


These are the days the words of my brother ring in my head. You see, my brother is an excellent cook. He is a master of the grill and all things carnivore. If you were to ask him how he made the delicious green chili pork, tri-tip, etc. he will tell you,


 "Just throw a bunch of s%*t in". 



So tonight, I pulled all of the produce I needed to use and took those words to heart. It helps to have a spice or condiment you love. I love curry. I'm currently using Morton & Basset Curry Powder. You could use the jarred curry paste, other powdered mixes, or mix your own.

It was delicious.

Before-it-goes-bad Curry Spiced Stir-fry:
(Use any vegetables you have lying around)
Serves: 2, Total Time: 30 min
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
  • 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger, chopped 
  • 1 JalapeƱo, chopped 
  • About 10 Crimini Mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 Lime
  • ½ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
  • 2 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 Zucchinis, chopped 
  • ½ cup Vegetable Broth
  • 1 tablespoon Cilantro, chopped
  • (Optional) 1 chicken breast


Heat oil over medium-low in large, thick-bottomed pot. Add garlic, Curry Powder, and ginger, stirring and cooking until fragrant, about one minute. Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro. Cook over medium-low until tomatoes are incorporated and mixture is bubbling and fragrant, about 15 minutes.

While you wait for the mixture to cook, cut chicken breast into one inch cubes season with salt and pepper and add to a separate skillet of hot oil. Cook until browned and inside is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro and serve over whole-wheat couscous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment