Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

French Toast

Sometimes you need something simple. 
If you stay in my home, I will make you breakfast. I make a big breakfast at least once on the weekends, even without company. Typically breakfast will involve meats, runny eggs, and some carbohydrate. Yet, sometimes I just want something simple and delicious. French toast totally fits the bill.
Bread, eggs, and milk are really the only things you need. Everything else just makes it even more delicious. I find the more dry whole wheat breads like this Harvest Whole Wheat from Trader Joe's work the best because they soak up the most of the egg-milk mixture, but really any ole bread will do.

Ever since I was very young, I've loved French Toast. I've recently begun to exercise near adult-like strength of will and serve these with only a light dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of syrup. When I want to feel nostalgic, I dump on the powdered sugar and syrup and mix them into a thick paste I used to call "cement". I remember being a child and feeling devastated because my grandfather told me I could choose powdered sugar OR syrup. OR?! No way.


French Toast
Serves: 2-3, Total Time: 15 minutes
Adapted from All Recipes
  • 1 tablespoon Butter (plus more as needed)
  • 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Orange Zest (or 2 teaspoons Orange Juice)
  • 1 pinch Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (or Grand Marnier)
  • 2/3 cup Milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 slices Bread 
  • Maple Syrup, powdered sugar
In a large skillet, heat butter over medium.

While butter melts, add flour, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, orange, salt, and vanilla to a large bowl or shallow baking dish. Slowly whisk in milk. Whisk in eggs until combined.

Dip bread slices in egg-milk mixture, flipping to ensure it is thoroughly soaked. Allow excess to drip off for a few seconds, and then place in skillet. Cook over medium until deep golden brown, then flip. Cook the other side until all egg is cooked and golden brown. Follow this same procedure for all slices, adding more butter to the skillet as necessary to prevent sticking.

Serve in stacks, dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment