Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Typically I'm not a huge fan of pizzas that use other sauces in place of a traditional tomato-based sauce. Perhaps its just because when I crave pizza, I'm really craving the bread-sauce-mozzarella combination. 


On this particular night, I had an ball of pizza dough lying around that I had made for a classic pizza two nights before and found myself tragically lacking in any ingredients to conjure up a tomato sauce. 


Common crisis, right? 
Homemade pizza dough is really superior to any store bought raw, para-baked, or pre-baked variety. I'll share this recipe, I promise.


First, bake your chicken. That way, it will cook while you chop and can rest while you're baking the pizza. 
If you wanted, you can use your BBQ sauce as the sole embellishment for the chicken. I prefer it when things don't just all taste the same so I used some spices on my chicken. 
Begin by chopping your toppings. Orange bell pepper, zucchini and red onion, and garlic (not pictured) are perfect on this pizza. Also note all of the colors. I love when my food is colorful, and not in the "are those spices or mold" kind of way.


Also, prepare the cheese. I prefer to grate my cheese before putting it on top of a pizza. It melts better than slices and also allows the air into the toppings so they get properly crispy.
Preheat the oven, pour some cornmeal on a cookie sheet. Then, stretch your dough into a pizza shape. You can also do this with a rolling pin but it turns out better if you do it by hand. Well, as evidenced by the picture it doesn't turn out better when I do it by hand. When I do it, it turns into an interpretive piece. I'm calling this one, "Pizza bed, comfort edible". Spread on your favorite BBQ sauce.
This is my favorite! 


Then add the chopped toppings, sprinkle on both cheeses and put it in the oven. DO NOT add the chicken before baking, the extra baking time will dry out your chicken.
While it bakes, chop the chicken and some cilantro.  


BBQ Chicken Pizza
Serves: 2; Total Time: 40 min.

  • 1 Chicken Breast or 2 Chicken Tenders
  • 1 tablespoon cornmeal (or olive oil)
  • 1 Raw Pizza Dough 
  • ½ Orange Bell Pepper, sliced
  • 1 Zucchini, quartered and sliced
  • ¼ Red Onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 clove Garlic, minced
  • ½ cup BBQ sauce 
  • 2 ounces Mozzerella Cheese, grated
  • 2 ounces Cheddar Cheese, grated
  • 1 handful Cilantro, chopped 

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the chicken in a small glass dish and coat both sides with half of the BBQ sauce* Cook in the oven about 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from the dish and allow to rest until pizza is almost complete.


Heat oven to 450 degrees.


Sprinkle a baking sheet with about cornmeal, place dough on top, stretch/massage dough into a 10-12 inch round (or a wonky dough rectangle if you're me). Spread remaining BBQ sauce on dough. Add chopped vegetables and garlic, then both cheeses. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until dough is golden-brown and cheese is bubbling.


Chop chicken and cilantro and sprinkle both over the pizza right when it comes out of the oven.


*Alternatively, you can coat the chicken in 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon each garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and dried oregano.


No comments:

Post a Comment